Jules Smith – BA (Graphic Design) FdA (Integrative Counselling) Diploma (Herbalism)
I provide a supportive space, a place where you can speak openly in complete confidence and be treated with kindness, explore your painful or distressing feelings and concerns and be listened to with respect. You can courageously voice your unspoken words and make your way through fearful emotions without judgement.
Through bringing your life challenges to the light, the path becomes clearer to finding your own way forward as an autonomous individual. I honour your unique life experience; depression, anxiety, bereavement, addiction, trauma, pain, whatever you are suffering. Often, resolving mental issues releases physical issues, releasing spiritual issues releases mental issues. This holistic approach integrates mental, physical, emotional and spiritual experiences within you. It is relational, as a mirror to your pain, I am with you on your journey.
You can face your fears and discover how to live life to it’s fullest and feOr maybe, you need to find meaning and purpose, we can look at that too.
The therapeutic relationship and a willingness to be there is the key to healing. Integrative Counselling can incorporate many different approaches and so I can provide you with the maximum benefits for your needs. I help you find your own path. As a professional Artist and Environmentalist, exploring mental health through creative arts and nature can be hugely transformational.
I use a combination of methods including:
- a psychodynamic approach in understanding how history and conditioning impacts on our everyday experience of ourselves and our relationship with others, I help you find tools which can gently challenge and heal core beliefs which cause pain or are no longer useful, at a pace which suits you.
- Meditation is a tool to help you slow down the barrage of intrusive and disturbing thoughts to gain peace and calm, thus accessing inner guidance.
- Filling that peaceful space with more appropriate and empowering thoughts. and images
- Visualisation is a simple and imaginative method of combining meditation, mindfulness and new thought patterns
- Gestalt helps you to identify, challenge and embrace the parts of yourself which are in conflict or critical. Looking at those you have felt hurt by, finding acceptance and forgiveness releases your pain.
- Inner child work teaches you to listen to your own inner messages and to take care of yourself
- If you cannot face or identify words, creative art is a simple and enjoyable way to release inner angst and turmoil, unblocking your ability to grow.
- Exploring mental health through nature. What was/is your relationship to nature?
- The transpersonal. When logic, reasoning or words don’t satisfy, learn to step out of the way and allow the transpersonal to take over. Access your higher power. Know that you can communicate directly with your inner wisdom which connects with the collective unconcious.
These are tools which will assist you for the rest of your life and will be unique to you
I have a degree from St. Martins school of Art in London and a Foundation degree in Integrative Counselling from University of Worcester. In addition to this, many years of life experience and interest within the arts and mental health have given me wisdom and insight into the psychology of the human mind and empathy for human suffering. I have completed Buddhist retreats and courses, past life and painting retreats. I have ongoing training in Non Violent Communication. Within the arts, some examples of courses I have completed are Etching, woodcarving, papermaking, felting, basketmaking, clay oven making and timber framing. My Ecotherapy experience has been assisted by a Permaculture course, building an off-grid cabin and managing 20 acres of woodland for 12 years. I have a diploma in Herbalism.
One to one therapy.
One to one sessions last an hour and are based in Exeter. I offer a free half hour one to one session to see if you connect with me.
Counselling in a woodland setting (ecotherapy)
Ecotherapy brings together ecology, psychotherapy and spirituality to illustrate how engagement in nature is powerful and transformative. By feeling ourselves as nature rather than thinking we are above and beyond it, we can begin to return to a relationship with the natural conditions that once provided us with the core of our psychological, spiritual, physical and cultural sustenance. I suggest that the rapid withdrawal from nature is the source of damaging alienation from a part of ourselves and the result of many deep seated fears and lack of sense of security. By embracing ecologically aware therapeutic models, profound transformations of emotional states can occur and the sense of security in ourselves is regained.
- Sessions are led by trained professional therapists who are there to support you
- The focus is on doing an activity, in relationship to your health
- It take place in a green environment
- Ecotherapy is related to exploring and appreciating the natural world (outer and inner)
- It can involve spending time with other people, or you can always choose to interact at your own pace.
- Some activities are:
- Clay work
- Grow food
- Survival-foraging in the wild
- Survival-collecting firewood
- Nature meditation and mindfulness
- Nature based artwork
- Discussion/counselling sessions about your relationship with the earth and yourself.
- Developing a connection with some aspect of the woodland
Therapeutic art classes
These classes use therapeutic art tools to give your feelings and emotions an avenue of expression. I will be there to guide you through the projects and processes, using paintings, drawings, clay sculpting and visualizations to understand these emotions.
No experience of art is necessary, this is a place to just let go and be creative. You can take your art home, along with the knowledge to help you with your day to day feelings.
Materials are included in the cost and refreshments will be available throughout the day, just bring your-self and some lunch.
One day therapeutic art class
Within this class, we will explore;
- Meditation to relax and calm
- Visualisation to connect with your imagination and intuition
- Clay work
- Expressive painting, collage and drawing
- Understanding feelings and emotions
Five day therapeutic art classes
This course will cover the exercises in the one day classes and we will also explore;
- Group drawing and sculpting
- Learning drawing and painting skills
- Natural environment study
- Drawing and understanding a Mandala
For the full itinerary please email or phone me.
Therapeutic art classes can take place outside, (weather permitting) and/or inside at Silent Haven. Some therapeutic art classes may also be organised at other venues in future. Ecotherapy takes place exploring the 20 acres of woodland at Silent Haven.
There may be some exercises which would benefit working as a group and some where you can work alone. All classes have flexibility to suit the individual. Inevitably, there will be overlaps due to the nature of the place and some ecotherapy ideas will come through in the therapeutic art classes, likewise painting and drawing may come through in the ecotherapy classes.